Saturday, December 3, 2011

'Twas the Night Before Surgery...



See Similar Images


‘Twas the night before surgery 
and all through the house
I was frantically cleaning, even ironed my blouse
The cupboards were empty, the shelves, they were bare
There was nothing but soup and protein shakes there.
My family was nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of new life danced in my head
I packed my PJ’s, the ones with the snap
And laid my head down for a short, little nap.
Before I knew it, the alarm night did shatter
I jumped up knowing I would never be fatter.
As I walked out the door, I tossed my last “stash”
And away to the hospital we flew like a flash.

They prepped me and poked me, to sleep I did go
I knew all was well, such care they did show.
When I was awakened, but who should appear?
The surgeon, the nurse and nutritionist dear.
They gave me a cup and a pink swabbie stick
If I did more than sip, I would surely be sick.
More rapid than eagles, my courses they came
The message was clear, this is no game.
“No sodas! No solids! The protein must mix in
Four weeks from now, purees you’ll be fixin’”
And now down to x-ray! Oh, what a ball!
Now drink it down! Drink it down! Drink it down all!
Then like a hurricane, my time it did fly
The discharge nurse said a fond “good-bye.”

So, into my brave new world I flew
With heart full of hope for my life anew.
I mixed and I measured, looking for proof
That this huge decision had not been a goof.
Then one happy day the scale turned around
The weight begin falling, it fell with a bound.
I became overjoyed from my head to my foot
Bought brand new clothes, and spent lots of loot.
All my old “fat” clothes in a box I did pack
Off to the Goodwill with the sack on my back.
My eyes – how they twinkled, my soul it was merry!
My husband sent roses. He was pleased, very!

And now, my new tool I have gotten to know
My spirits have risen from depths oh so low
I live from above and not from beneath
Support, love and joy the team does bequeath
I never thought possible, losing my belly
(Although it still shakes like a bowlful of jelly)
My dreams are no longer on the back shelf
I can stand quite tall and be proud of myself
With confidence now, there is nothing to dread
Life is a joy, it is full steam ahead
As I was told, this new way is work
I make the choice, the rules I won’t shirk

There’s no way to say as I end this prose
How happy I am, how much my peace grows
I skip and I sing, and sometime I whistle
My spirits soar high, like the down of a thistle
And so I will close with not one ounce of strife:
“Good health to all, and to all a long life!”

Julie Dostal 12/22/05
Adapted from The Night Before Christmas
By Clement Clarke Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment